One of the worst things about using windows operating systems is that even if you linked its UI, you would not get rid of the irritating errors, and one of those error codes is 0x80042405-0xa001a. If you are trying to use the windows media creation tool to install or update the windows 10 version, you will get stumbled upon this error. You will get 0x80042405-0xa001a error code on your computer screen because there might be a problem while creating a USB installation media to install the windows 10. You will get the following error message on your screen.
“We’re not sure what happened, but we’re unable to run this tool on your PC, Error code 0x80042405 – 0xA001A”
What Are The Reasons Behind Media Creation Error Code 0x80042405 0xa001a
There are more than one reason you are facing media creation error code, but the following reasons are getting 0x80042405-0xa001a.
- The USB you are using is not NTFS type. It’s a known fact that NTFS file systems are explicitly designed windows only environment, and to run the media creation tool without any problem, you will have to use an NTFS.
- There might not be enough space in the USB with the help you are trying to create a media on. So make sure there is plenty of space available in the USB drive.
- A probable bug in the Media creation tool is creating a problem to install windows 10 operating system further or even updating it.
Even though we don’t know for sure what’s causing this error to come on your desktop screen, we can still eliminate it by following the methods we have explained below.
- Download Media Creation Tool Directly To USB
- Download Media Creation Tool To Hard Drive
- Format USB As NTFS
Method 1:- Download Media Creation Tool Directly To USB
One of the best methods which worked for everyone will probably for you is to download the media creation tool in USB itself. Sometimes, the problems that seem problematic might be solved by the most straightforward solutions, and this one is one of them.
Usually, what we do is download the tool to the local C drive and then try to install the application from that drive. However, in this method, you need to download the media creation tool to USB itself. After locating it, run this tool directly from the USB while doing this; make sure you are running executable as administrator.
Method 2:- Download Media Creation Tool To Hard Drive
If the above method doesn’t work for you, then don’t worry because, in this one, we will be downloading these files on the computer hard disk and then copying it to the USB drive from there. Follow the steps mentioned below to copy files from hard disk to USB drive.
- First, download the meida creation tool to the Local Drive C
- Now launch the application downloaded the files in C drive
- Mount the “iso” file downloaded by media creation tool
- Now copy files and the folders from virtual DVD to the USB drive, but except “autorun.inf” file.
- On “Autorun.inf” file right click and select the rename option.
- Change it to the “Autorun.txt” file, and hit the Enter
- Again copy this file to the USB, and rename it again “Autorun.inf”
- Now this should fix the issue which you are facing, because usually following the above mentioned m,ethod solves media creation toool problems relating to installation of windows 10 from the USB. However, if iot doesn;t then don’t worry abo;ut it because we still got another solution.
Method 3:- Format USB As NTFS
Even though it might sound weird but this method is still working for some users who faced the problem of having Windows creation tool 0x80042405 0xa001a even after trying the above-mentioned solutions. In this method, format the US as NTFS and try to run the media creation tool again, and in this trick, we will use the inbuilt disk formatting function to see whether it fixes the issue or not.
- Press Windows +E, then at left navigation bar click on THis-PC
- You will see the target USB drive. Right click on it and select format.
- A new window will pop up, make sure file system format is set as NTFS and then proceed
- After the formation finished, run the media creation tool again.
Method 4:- Convert Disk Type To MBR
If your USB is not set as an MBR, then while running the windows media creation tool, you will face this error code. So in order to remove that, you will have to set the USB drive to MBR (Master Boot Record) instead of the default setting of GPT (guide Partition Table). It will help you to boot from the USB drive, and here is how to do it.
Press windows + R, in dialogue box type “diskpart” and Enter
Enter the following command
Now enter the command
select disk x
In Here X means the number of disks you want to create in the bootable media. Select disk 0
Here we will clean the drive properly to covert it to the MBR. So type the following command to do so.
After that wiat for some minutes to complete the operation, and after it’s done try running the media creation tool in your windows 10 PC, and see whether you still persists the error code.
Method 5:- Use Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool
Many people have said they are facing 0x80042405-0xa001a error in windows 7, and that’s why this method is for those guys. Just like the media creation tool, Microsoft launched the Windows USB/DVD to install media files successfully. It works just like the media creation tool, but your system must have an ISO file already in there. So follow these steps to fix the issue using Windows 7 USB/DVD download tool.
- First download the ISO file from windows official site
- Then download and install Windows 7 USB/DVD tool in your system
- After installation, run it as an administrator. In next step you will be aksed to select the ISO file. Then select the ISO file which you just downloaded and click on next.
- Select the targeted drive, and follow instructions shown on the screen.
So these are some working solutions to fix 0x80042405-0xa001a error code in windows media creation tool. However, if you are still facing any sort of problem or error while trying to implement, then try to leave a comment below. If you think other methods are also there which has worked for you, then let us know since it can help our other readers who are facing the same problem.
Thanks for reading the article.
Have a nice day. 🙂